D-backs manager Kirk Gibson on Tony La Russa: 'I want him to be open and honest with me'
While the four-time Manager of the Year's role with the organization will strictly be front office-based, it's hard not to wonder how the team's current manager, Kirk Gibson, viewed the personnel move.
Gibson, a Manager of the Year award recipient in his own right back in 2011, has fallen on hard times in recent years, guiding the D-backs to back-to-back .500 seasons, not to mention its current 18-28 mark to begin 2014.
But ever the professional, Gibson was gushing about the hire Tuesday.
"When I was a young player, Tony whenever he'd play Detroit, he'd come over and talk to [Tigers manager] Sparky Anderson all the time," Gibson recalled on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns & Gambo. "I was always a guy who was looking for information, so I know a lot of his principles came from a guy who taught me the game and others who I competed against.
"His success as a manager speaks for itself. It's impressive the way he goes about things and the way he competes. I look at it as a positive thing for us. I believe he can help us. I'm very fortunate to have him to give me suggestions."
While Gibson has played for some of the most-accomplished skippers to ever grace a dugout in Tommy Lasorda and Anderson, the fifth-year manager said he's not above adding another mentor.
"One of the first conversations we had the first day he came in, he said he didn't want to give me too much information," said Gibson. "He said he wanted to analyze things and get through the season. He knows how hard it is to get through the season.
"But I said, 'No, I welcome it. I want to know anything that you see. Hopefully we can have a relationship.'"
It's a relationship Gibson hopes will come with open communication at all times.
"I want him to be open and honest with me," said Gibson. "Ultimately, make me better and that will make our team better."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.