Kurkjian on Diamondbacks: With La Russa on board, Towers more likely to go than Gibson
Needless to say, the move sent ripples across the baseball landscape, and it has left many -- both locally and nationally -- still trying to make sense of it all.
What does it mean? What are the implications? What level of authority is in place?
But ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian has a fairly simple explanation for the hire.
"Well, this is what you do when you're 13 games under .500 and 10 games out," he told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns & Gambo show on Wednesday. "You hire the best guy available and bring him in and say, 'Tell us what we're missing here.'"
Kurkjian seemed to have little doubt that La Russa was that guy -- the best available to the Diamondbacks.
"And Tony La Russa is great at things like this," he went on. "He has as discerning an eye as basically anyone I've ever run across."
But, despite the sensible explanation, even Kurkjian was taken aback by the move a little -- not by the Diamondbacks' search for such an executive, but by La Russa's decision.
"I'm surprised Tony is back in a position like this this quickly," he said. "But he loves a challenge and he's got one here."
Immediately after the hire, speculation began on the job security of general manager Kevin Towers and manager Kirk Gibson. Kurkjian weighed in on the possibility of a departure, specifically for the D-backs' GM.
"That's likely, obviously, if they don't turn it around significantly," he said. "And I don't see them turning it around significantly.
"If one of the two is going to take the fall first, it would probably be Towers, but we have a long way to go on this still and that's not to say either one of them is safe."
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?