Updated May 26, 2014 - 10:54 am
CBS Sports: D-backs OF A.J. Pollock among MLB's hottest starters
He had shown above-average outfield defense to go along with occasional pop and an average of around .260.
But Pollock has taken his game to another level to start the 2014 season, and CBS Sports baseball insider Jon Heyman included Pollock at No. 11 on a list of the 25 best starts in baseball this season.
The 26-year-old has the team's second-highest batting average at .286 and his five home runs are tied for third on the team. He's helped anchor a D-backs outfield that has dealt with injuries to Cody Ross and Mark Trumbo through the season's first two months, and he's established himself as one of the D-backs' few bright spots.
Here's what Heyman had to say about Pollock:
He has been a shining light in a bleak D-Backs beginning, with five home runs, six stolen bases and a 2.2 WAR. He's the fastest guy on the team, and a very good base stealer, so it's a wonder he's often buried at or near the bottom of a generally unproductive order. He has batted leadoff 10 times total, but eventually that needs to be his spot. Staying power: 4 (out of 5).
The Diamondbacks made Pollock the No. 17 overall pick in the 2009 MLB draft, and he's since compiled a .270 average, 15 home runs, 57 RBIs and 19 stolen bases in 213 major-league games.
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.