Updated May 26, 2014 - 4:40 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill improved, available if needed
"He's good. He texted me and wanted to play," manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hill had left the second game of Sunday's doubleheader against the New York Mets for precautionary reasons after fouling a ball off his left ankle.
"I talked to (head athletic trainer) Ken (Crenshaw) today and all things considered, we're going to give him another day. He's available (to play). I'm sure he's going to hit in the cage," Gibson said. "He had a pretty big knot on there and actually he could play the field okay, but the hitting really bothered him, so we're going to give him another day to get some more inflammation out of there."
Hill, who was 2-for-8 with a double and two runs scored in the three games against the Mets, was not wearing his shin guard as he normally does.
"Maybe he's convinced he should wear his pad all the time now," Gibson said with a smile. "Actually, he says when he starts hitting balls like that then that's a good sign. He's starting to get the head (of the bat) out and that's what happens, so he's going to have to start wearing that more consistently."
It's been a rough couple of weeks for Hill. He missed three games due to a sore shoulder last week. The ankle, though, is not expected to keep him sidelined for any extended time.
"(Crenshaw is) comfortable we're headed in the right direction," Gibson said.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.