The Pulse: No D-backs starter is off to a surprising start
On Monday, we asked readers, "Which D-backs starting pitcher is doing better than you expected him to do?"
The readers didn't leave much doubt, with 38 percent of the almost 700 votes voting for "none." Bronson Arroyo came in second with 28 percent of the vote while Brandon McCarthy earned 17 percent. Josh Collmenter was the only other option with more than 10 percent of the vote.
The D-backs' rotation was the biggest culprit behind the team's historically bad start to the season, though the numbers have started evening themselves out over the last month.
Arizona has by far the fewest quality starts in the national league with 18, and its 4.56 team ERA is almost a full run worse than the National League average.
Collmenter is the lone member of the D-backs rotation with an ERA under four, though Arroyo has seen his ERA drop to 4.15 after an abysmal start to the season.
Nine different pitchers have started for the D-backs this season and none have an ERA better than four during their stint as a starter.
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.