The Pulse: No D-backs starter is off to a surprising start
On Monday, we asked readers, "Which D-backs starting pitcher is doing better than you expected him to do?"
The readers didn't leave much doubt, with 38 percent of the almost 700 votes voting for "none." Bronson Arroyo came in second with 28 percent of the vote while Brandon McCarthy earned 17 percent. Josh Collmenter was the only other option with more than 10 percent of the vote.
The D-backs' rotation was the biggest culprit behind the team's historically bad start to the season, though the numbers have started evening themselves out over the last month.
Arizona has by far the fewest quality starts in the national league with 18, and its 4.56 team ERA is almost a full run worse than the National League average.
Collmenter is the lone member of the D-backs rotation with an ERA under four, though Arroyo has seen his ERA drop to 4.15 after an abysmal start to the season.
Nine different pitchers have started for the D-backs this season and none have an ERA better than four during their stint as a starter.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.