The Pulse: No D-backs starter is off to a surprising start
On Monday, we asked readers, "Which D-backs starting pitcher is doing better than you expected him to do?"
The readers didn't leave much doubt, with 38 percent of the almost 700 votes voting for "none." Bronson Arroyo came in second with 28 percent of the vote while Brandon McCarthy earned 17 percent. Josh Collmenter was the only other option with more than 10 percent of the vote.
The D-backs' rotation was the biggest culprit behind the team's historically bad start to the season, though the numbers have started evening themselves out over the last month.
Arizona has by far the fewest quality starts in the national league with 18, and its 4.56 team ERA is almost a full run worse than the National League average.
Collmenter is the lone member of the D-backs rotation with an ERA under four, though Arroyo has seen his ERA drop to 4.15 after an abysmal start to the season.
Nine different pitchers have started for the D-backs this season and none have an ERA better than four during their stint as a starter.
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.