D-backs GM Towers: This can work with La Russa
"The only thing that is different at least since Tony's been hired is probably more communication with him more so than probably Derrick (Hall) just because that's who I report to now when we make player moves or talking about the draft," Towers said on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
On the show last week, Towers said he hadn't interacted with La Russa in person, but hoped he wasn't a "pseudo GM."
This week, his tune seems more optimistic.
Towers said the arrangement of a GM reporting to a CBO can work, and both he and La Russa want it to work, "but only time will tell" if it actually does.
"We're both baseball guys," Towers said. "I've known him for quite some time leading back to the late 90s. I think in the few conversations we have there's a comfort level. There's mutual respect. I think I could certainly be in assistance to him on the calendar and timing and priorities in the front office.
"I'm sure I could learn a lot about the game of baseball and assembling a ballclub from arguably one of the great managers in the game."
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.