D-backs GM Towers: This can work with La Russa
"The only thing that is different at least since Tony's been hired is probably more communication with him more so than probably Derrick (Hall) just because that's who I report to now when we make player moves or talking about the draft," Towers said on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
On the show last week, Towers said he hadn't interacted with La Russa in person, but hoped he wasn't a "pseudo GM."
This week, his tune seems more optimistic.
Towers said the arrangement of a GM reporting to a CBO can work, and both he and La Russa want it to work, "but only time will tell" if it actually does.
"We're both baseball guys," Towers said. "I've known him for quite some time leading back to the late 90s. I think in the few conversations we have there's a comfort level. There's mutual respect. I think I could certainly be in assistance to him on the calendar and timing and priorities in the front office.
"I'm sure I could learn a lot about the game of baseball and assembling a ballclub from arguably one of the great managers in the game."
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?