Diamondbacks president Hall: I can't conclude what Tony La Russa is going to do
After all, it's likely La Russa wouldn't have even been brought on board had the D-backs not struggled so mightily early in the 2014 season, and many believe the team's skipper and/or GM are responsible.
But instead of letting go of Towers or Gibson, Derrick Hall and the team decided it would be best to add La Russa.
"One of the reasons we made the decision we did was because we didn't want a lot of disruption," the team president told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday morning. "We wanted to, this early in the season, you hate to be knee-jerk in April."
In a way, the timing just didn't seem right to make wholesale changes.
"You've got a draft coming up, you've got a trade deadline coming up, you want people here that understand your personnel as you try and figure out where to move forward directionally with this organization, and that's really going to be an evaluation that Tony's going to have to make," he said. "I think right now he's being very methodical, as he should be, and he's just trying to get a good lay of the land, and I expect that process to take a little time."
The draft is slated to begin on June 5, and the MLB non-waiver trade deadline is July 31. Up to this point, La Russa has spent much of his time touring the organization's farm system in order to get a better feel for the overall structure and talent level.
So it's understandable why La Russa didn't just come in and clean house. But whether or not he will decide to do so at some point is something even Hall doesn't really know.
"I can't predict what he's going to conclude, but I know that he's going to do what's in the best interest of the organization," Hall said. "And he's a winner. This guy knows what it takes to win. He knows he's going to get the right people around him, whether they're already here or he has to go out and recruit them.
"But I'm confident in his ability and his intelligence and his competitiveness."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.