D-backs rotation bounces back in May
After a disastrous start in March and April, the D-backs played better baseball in May by taking six of nine series.
How bad was that start?
After April, the D-backs were in last place in MLB at 9-22, including 3-15 at home. Out of 10 series, the team won one and split another.
The main culprit to the horrendous start was shaky starting pitching, with starters carrying a 5-18 record and a 6.29 ERA.
Right-handers Trevor Cahill and Randall Delgado were relegated to the bullpen after fizzling in the rotation. Cahill lost all four starts with a 9.17 ERA, while Delgado lasted just two starts and gave up nine runs in 7.1 innings pitched.
Pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley all struggled, which was puzzling because of their proven track records.
In May, the starting pitching improved dramatically with an 11-8 record and a 3.72 ERA. Arroyo had the most noticeable improvement, shaving his ERA from 7.77 in April to 4.39 where it stands now.
Outfielder A.J. Pollock also burst onto the scene in May. Unfortunately, he fractured his right hand May 31, but was hitting .375 and stole eight bases in the month.
Even with the improvements on the mound, the D-backs still have the worst ERA (4.47) and run differential (-65) in MLB.
A 4.47 ERA doesn't sound terrible, but today's pitching-dominated world is a different era. The last time the MLB-worst ERA finished lower than 4.47 was in 1981 when the Seattle Mariners had a 4.23 ERA.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.