D-backs rotation bounces back in May
After a disastrous start in March and April, the D-backs played better baseball in May by taking six of nine series.
How bad was that start?
After April, the D-backs were in last place in MLB at 9-22, including 3-15 at home. Out of 10 series, the team won one and split another.
The main culprit to the horrendous start was shaky starting pitching, with starters carrying a 5-18 record and a 6.29 ERA.
Right-handers Trevor Cahill and Randall Delgado were relegated to the bullpen after fizzling in the rotation. Cahill lost all four starts with a 9.17 ERA, while Delgado lasted just two starts and gave up nine runs in 7.1 innings pitched.
Pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley all struggled, which was puzzling because of their proven track records.
In May, the starting pitching improved dramatically with an 11-8 record and a 3.72 ERA. Arroyo had the most noticeable improvement, shaving his ERA from 7.77 in April to 4.39 where it stands now.
Outfielder A.J. Pollock also burst onto the scene in May. Unfortunately, he fractured his right hand May 31, but was hitting .375 and stole eight bases in the month.
Even with the improvements on the mound, the D-backs still have the worst ERA (4.47) and run differential (-65) in MLB.
A 4.47 ERA doesn't sound terrible, but today's pitching-dominated world is a different era. The last time the MLB-worst ERA finished lower than 4.47 was in 1981 when the Seattle Mariners had a 4.23 ERA.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.