D-backs' A.J. Pollock undergoes hand surgery
The 26-year-old outfielder was named the National League Player of the Week for the second time in three weeks, solidifying the fact that he was one of the hottest players in baseball.
Monday afternoon, Pollock had a plate and screws placed in his fractured right hand during a surgery performed by Dr. Don Sheridan.
According to the Diamondbacks, Pollock is tentatively scheduled to resume baseball activity in about eight weeks.
Pollock was enjoying a breakout season before being struck in the hand by a pitch from Cincinnati's Jonathan Broxton in the eighth inning of a 5-0 loss to the Reds last Saturday night. Pollock ranks seventh in the National League with a .316 batting average, is eighth in slugging percentage (.554) and on-base plus slugging (.920), tied for seventh with 16 doubles and tied for second with four triples. His Wins Above Replacement mark of 3.1 is third among NL position players, behind only Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki (4.5) and Miami's Giancarlo Stanton (4.1).
Venezuelan native David Peralta was recalled from Double-A Mobile to take Pollock's roster spot and had two hits in his Major League debut Sunday.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.