Updated Jun 3, 2014 - 9:28 am
Diamondbacks recall Didi Gregorius, place Pennington on DL
The team announced Tuesday it had recalled the infielder from Triple-A Reno while placing Cliff Pennington on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained ligament in his left thumb.
The 24-year-old Gregorius was the D-backs' primary shortstop last season, when he hit .252 with seven home runs and 28 RBI while playing outstanding defense.
He lost a spring training battle with Chris Owings, though, and was sent to Triple-A where he has hit .310 with 14 doubles, four triples, three home runs and 25 RBI in 57 games with the Aces. He has played both shortstop and second base.
Pennington, 29, hurt his hand during a tag attempt against the San Diego Padres on May 27. He has appeared in 33 games for the D-backs this season, hitting .243 with four doubles, one triple, six RBI and six runs scored.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.