Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: Conversations with Tony La Russa have been good
They've been in the team's draft room the last couple of days going over film and reports ahead of the first-year player draft as well as had lunch a couple of times.
"Most of the conversations are more not about job description and responsibilities as much as baseball philosophy and putting together a ballclub and talking about players," Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday morning. "I think my job is the job that it's always been, it's just there will be much more interaction probably with Tony. When we're doing things it will be discussed with Tony."
But, Towers said, it seems to be case where he is the general manager and his job is still to do what the general manager does. He knows when a deal or any move is on the table he'll discuss it with La Russa, but that's not going to be an issue.
"It's been good, the conversations have been good," he said. "I've felt that all along -- he's a baseball guy and I consider myself a baseball guy, and when two baseball guys talk there's a comfort level."
It probably doesn't hurt that the D-backs, whose struggles seemed to put the jobs of both Towers and manager Kirk Gibson in jeopardy, have been playing better baseball of late.
Though just 24-36 and 14 games back of the NL West-leading San Francisco Giants, they are 8-8 since La Russa was hired and significantly more competitive than they were earlier in the season when the team's struggles were at their worst.
Whether or not that has led to improved job security for the fourth-year GM remains to be seen, but at the very least it appears any questions of what his role would be going forward have been answered.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.