Arizona Diamondbacks add eight more players in draft's second day
Seven of the eight players Arizona added Friday come from college.
Of the eight new prospects, four are pitchers, two are outfielders and two are infielders. Below is a breakdown of each player as provided by the D-backs:
• Outfielder Matt Railey (Third Round, 89th overall), a Florida State commit, is rated by Baseball America as the ninth-best prospect in Florida after batting .407 (35-for-86) this year. He was named a Second-Team All-American by Perfect Game.
• Right-handed pitcher Brent Jones (Fourth Round, 120th overall) is Cornell's highest-ever draft pick. He went 2-3 with a 2.50 ERA in 9 starts this season, garnering All-Ivy League Honorable Mention accolades.
• Right-handed pitcher Mason McCullough (Fifth Round, 150th overall) went 5-0 with a 4.09 ERA and 85 strikeouts as a starter for Lander. He spent the 2012-13 seasons with the University of North Carolina as a reliever.
• Left-handed pitcher Zac Curtis (Sixth Round, 180th overall), a 2014 All-Conference USA selection and Gregg Olson Award semifinalist, went 9-3 with a 1.89 ERA (24 ER in 114.0 IP) and led all Division-I pitchers with 143 strikeouts.
• Infielder Tyler Humphreys (Seventh Round, 210 overall), who was named Mid-Florida Conference Male Athlete of the Year, led the nation with 18 home runs and hit .347 with 12 doubles and 57 RBI for the Vikings this season.
• Outfielder Grant Heyman (Eighth Round, 240th overall), the Scenic West Conference Player of the Year, hit .377 (66-for-175) with 24 doubles, 8 home runs and 43 RBI in 52 games for the Coyotes. He committed to Oregon State University.
• Infielder Justin Gonzalez (Ninth Round, 270th overall), a 4-year starter at Florida State and the Seminoles' team captain the previous 2 seasons, hit .245 (48-for-196) with 16 doubles and 39 RBI this season after missing the 2013 season with hip surgery.
• Right-handed pitcher Scott Schultz (Tenth Round, 300th overall) went 7-2 with 6 saves, a 1.61 ERA (12 ER in 67.0 IP) and 3 complete games (1 shutout) in 25 games (5 starts) for the No. 1 ranked Oregon State baseball team.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.