ESPN insider Keith Law: D-backs 'got good value' with early-round draft picks
But it seems general manager Kevin Towers may have made a fan out of Law, at least for one night.
In an insider piece Friday, Law wrote that the D-backs were one of four teams who he thought 'got good value' with their early-round picks.
With the No. 16 overall selection, Towers and Co. snagged right-hander Touki Toussaint out of Coral Gables (Fla.) Christian Academy, and while he didn't go as far as to compare him to 'a young Bob Gibson,' Law was effusive in his praise of the choice.
A lot of teams went crazy for upside, but I think the Arizona Diamondbacks did the best job of that group, landing three Vanderbilt commits. Touki Toussaint, their first-round pick, was among the highest-ceiling prep pitchers in the class, with a very loose, quick arm, fastball in the low to mid-90s, and above-average curveball already.
In addition to Toussaint, the D-backs used their second-round pick and a pair of supplemental choices on a trio of amateur prospects -- shortstop Isan Diaz, outfielder Marcus Wilson and left-handed pitcher Cody Reed.
And those picks seemed to meet with Law's approval, as well.
Isan Diaz is a polished middle infielder from western Massachusetts who boasts a high baseball IQ and good feel to hit, and who probably will move to second base in pro ball. Lefty Cody Reed might have gone higher except that he's 6-foot-3 and overweight at uncomfortably north of 250 pounds. But he's been 92-96 this spring and shows a chance for three pitches.
They also took non-Vandy commit Marcus Wilson, a speedy Southern California prep outfielder who has bat speed and a very projectable body; he got a little first-round buzz earlier in the spring.
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.