ESPN insider Keith Law: D-backs 'got good value' with early-round draft picks
But it seems general manager Kevin Towers may have made a fan out of Law, at least for one night.
In an insider piece Friday, Law wrote that the D-backs were one of four teams who he thought 'got good value' with their early-round picks.
With the No. 16 overall selection, Towers and Co. snagged right-hander Touki Toussaint out of Coral Gables (Fla.) Christian Academy, and while he didn't go as far as to compare him to 'a young Bob Gibson,' Law was effusive in his praise of the choice.
A lot of teams went crazy for upside, but I think the Arizona Diamondbacks did the best job of that group, landing three Vanderbilt commits. Touki Toussaint, their first-round pick, was among the highest-ceiling prep pitchers in the class, with a very loose, quick arm, fastball in the low to mid-90s, and above-average curveball already.
In addition to Toussaint, the D-backs used their second-round pick and a pair of supplemental choices on a trio of amateur prospects -- shortstop Isan Diaz, outfielder Marcus Wilson and left-handed pitcher Cody Reed.
And those picks seemed to meet with Law's approval, as well.
Isan Diaz is a polished middle infielder from western Massachusetts who boasts a high baseball IQ and good feel to hit, and who probably will move to second base in pro ball. Lefty Cody Reed might have gone higher except that he's 6-foot-3 and overweight at uncomfortably north of 250 pounds. But he's been 92-96 this spring and shows a chance for three pitches.
They also took non-Vandy commit Marcus Wilson, a speedy Southern California prep outfielder who has bat speed and a very projectable body; he got a little first-round buzz earlier in the spring.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?