ESPN insider Keith Law: D-backs 'got good value' with early-round draft picks
But it seems general manager Kevin Towers may have made a fan out of Law, at least for one night.
In an insider piece Friday, Law wrote that the D-backs were one of four teams who he thought 'got good value' with their early-round picks.
With the No. 16 overall selection, Towers and Co. snagged right-hander Touki Toussaint out of Coral Gables (Fla.) Christian Academy, and while he didn't go as far as to compare him to 'a young Bob Gibson,' Law was effusive in his praise of the choice.
A lot of teams went crazy for upside, but I think the Arizona Diamondbacks did the best job of that group, landing three Vanderbilt commits. Touki Toussaint, their first-round pick, was among the highest-ceiling prep pitchers in the class, with a very loose, quick arm, fastball in the low to mid-90s, and above-average curveball already.
In addition to Toussaint, the D-backs used their second-round pick and a pair of supplemental choices on a trio of amateur prospects -- shortstop Isan Diaz, outfielder Marcus Wilson and left-handed pitcher Cody Reed.
And those picks seemed to meet with Law's approval, as well.
Isan Diaz is a polished middle infielder from western Massachusetts who boasts a high baseball IQ and good feel to hit, and who probably will move to second base in pro ball. Lefty Cody Reed might have gone higher except that he's 6-foot-3 and overweight at uncomfortably north of 250 pounds. But he's been 92-96 this spring and shows a chance for three pitches.
They also took non-Vandy commit Marcus Wilson, a speedy Southern California prep outfielder who has bat speed and a very projectable body; he got a little first-round buzz earlier in the spring.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.