The Pulse: Arizona Sports readers put little stock in MLB Draft
On Friday, we asked what our readers thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' first-round selection of Touki Toussaint in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.
Toussaint was taken with the No. 16 selection in the draft, but it appears our readers barely got a whiff of the news, as a majority of them said they don't invest time in Major League Baseball's annual draft.
Two-hundred and forty-two people (54 percent) out of 450 voters responded, "Who? I don't follow the MLB Draft." Apparently, the draft just hasn't caught on for MLB the way that the event has for the NFL and NBA and their fans.
For those willing to entertain the question, many of them (37 percent) said, "Great selection, he has a bright future!" And finally, 41 voters (9 percent) clicked on "Not bad, but they should have taken a hitter."
Toussaint is a 17-year-old right-handed pitcher from Coral Springs Christian Academy in Florida. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Toussaint was rated by Baseball America as the country's third-best high school pitcher, while MLB.com had him as the eighth-ranked prospect in the entire draft. Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers has called the young hurler "kind of a young Bob Gibson."
On Friday, the right-hander said on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM that he is weighing a decision on whether to go to college -- where he has been offered a scholarship to play at Vanderbilt -- or join the pro ranks. Perhaps this is another reason why a handful of voters in our poll were underwhelmed by the D-backs' first-round choice.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.