The Pulse: Arizona Sports readers put little stock in MLB Draft
On Friday, we asked what our readers thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' first-round selection of Touki Toussaint in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.
Toussaint was taken with the No. 16 selection in the draft, but it appears our readers barely got a whiff of the news, as a majority of them said they don't invest time in Major League Baseball's annual draft.
Two-hundred and forty-two people (54 percent) out of 450 voters responded, "Who? I don't follow the MLB Draft." Apparently, the draft just hasn't caught on for MLB the way that the event has for the NFL and NBA and their fans.
For those willing to entertain the question, many of them (37 percent) said, "Great selection, he has a bright future!" And finally, 41 voters (9 percent) clicked on "Not bad, but they should have taken a hitter."
Toussaint is a 17-year-old right-handed pitcher from Coral Springs Christian Academy in Florida. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Toussaint was rated by Baseball America as the country's third-best high school pitcher, while MLB.com had him as the eighth-ranked prospect in the entire draft. Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers has called the young hurler "kind of a young Bob Gibson."
On Friday, the right-hander said on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM that he is weighing a decision on whether to go to college -- where he has been offered a scholarship to play at Vanderbilt -- or join the pro ranks. Perhaps this is another reason why a handful of voters in our poll were underwhelmed by the D-backs' first-round choice.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.