Updated Jun 8, 2014 - 12:43 pm
Nearly 40 players with Arizona ties taken in MLB draft
Three players from Arizona high schools -- Cole Tucker (Mountain Pointe HS), Ryan Castellani (Brophy College Preparatory) and Alex Verdugo (Sahuaro HS) -- went in the draft's first two rounds to the Pittsburgh Pirates, Colorado Rockies and Los Angeles Dodgers, respectively.
The University of Arizona saw three players go in this year's draft: Pitcher James Farris, ninth round, Chicago Cubs; second baseman Trent Gilbert, 15th round, Oakland; and pitcher Tyler Parmenter, 21st round, Cincinnati.
Arizona State University also produced three MLB prospects: Shortstop Drew Stankiewicz, 11th round, Philadelphia; first baseman Nathaniel Causey, 19th round, Colorado; and pitcher David Graybill, 33rd round, New York Yankees.
Four players from Central Arizona College got their names called by MLB teams: Pitcher Brock Dykxhoorn, sixth round, Houston; pitcher Nicco Blank, 25th round, New York Mets; pitcher Jared Koenig, 35th round, Chicago White Sox; and catcher David Petrino, 39th round, Chicago Cubs.
Grand Canyon University produced two pitching prospects: Brandon Bonilla (yes, son of Bobby Bonilla), 25th round, Baltimore; and Jorge Perez, 30th round, New York Yankees.
Additionally, three players from local community colleges were selected in the draft: Pima CC saw pitcher Cole Plouck go in the 16th round to Washington and right fielder James Lynch taken in the 39th round by Toronto, while Glendale CC had third baseman Vance Vizcaino go in the 29th round to Kansas City.
The Arizona Diamondbacks took two players with Arizona ties: First baseman Kevin Cron in the 16th round out of Texas Christian University and outfielder Gerard Hernandez in the 21st round out of Pinnacle High School. Cron is a graduate of Mountain Pointe HS in Tempe and was originally drafted in the third round by Seattle in 2011, but he chose to pursue his academic career at TCU instead.
In total, 38 players with Arizona ties went in the Thursday-Saturday draft, including 13 prospects straight out of high school.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.