Updated Jun 8, 2014 - 4:43 pm
D-backs pitcher Chase Anderson builds on franchise-best start to career
The latest chapter featured a seven-inning, two-run performance in which he struck out eight and allowed five hits while improving his record to 5-0 as the D-backs beat the Atlanta Braves 6-5 on Sunday. Anderson even picked up the first hit of his career on a perfectly placed bunt.
Anderson's lone misstep came on a two-run home run to Atlanta's Justin Upton, though that pitch was knee-high on the inside corner.
The rookie has now won all five of his MLB starts, and was in line to win another before rain washed away four innings of a start in New York.
"It feels good just to win," Anderson told reporters after the game. "I'm just trying to give the team a chance to win ... you've just got to do your job and hope you can be successful at this level."
Anderson's start is the best of any D-backs rookie, and Sunday's performance was likely the best of his season. The 26-year-old has received a whopping 31 runs of support in his five starts, and he was again the benefactor of a big inning from the Arizona offense.
The D-backs rallied from a 2-0 hole after Anderson's final inning, building a 6-2 lead and putting Anderson in line for the win. The bullpen allowed a trio of runs before closing the game out.
Anderson's ERA now sits at 3.14, and he has struck out 22 batters in 28.2 innings pitched. The lone blemish on his record may be the five home runs he's allowed, but he's given up just eight earned runs.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.