Updated Jun 12, 2014 - 11:37 am
Diamondbacks send Trevor Cahill to Class A-ball, claim Jordan Pacheco from Rockies
PHOENIX -- Three days after designating pitcher Trevor Cahill for assignment the Arizona Diamondbacks have optioned him to Class A Visalia.
Cahill had struggled in the starting rotation and the bullpen in 2014, going 1-6 with a 5.66 ERA in 19 appearances.
After designating him for assignment the team had 10 days to return him to the 40-man roster, trade, release or outright him to the minor leagues.
On Monday Cahill mentioned he wanted to improve his consistency.
"There's times when I come out of the 'pen and I feel good and there's starts where I feel really good, it's just those starts where I don't feel sharp I just kind of have to figure out a way to get through it and still help the team win," Cahill said.
He's expected to start for the Visalia Rawhide Thursday.
Yes, Trevor Cahill will be starting for the Rawhide tonight at Inland Empire! He's scheduled to pitch 3 innings.— Visalia Rawhide (@VisaliaRawhide) June 12, 2014
In another, and unrelated, move the Diamondbacks claimed catcher/infielder Jordan Pacheco from the Colorado Rockies and designated Nick Evans.
Pacheco, 28, had been with the Rockies for four seasons, hitting .281 with 54 doubles, eight home runs and 98 RBI in 270 games. He played in 22 games with the Rockies in 2014 before being designated for assignment on June 4.
The utility man has spent time at first base, third base, catcher, second base and left field.
Evans had played in eight games, going 1-for-11 since his call up on May 28.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.