Paul Goldschmidt trying to keep positive outlook on season
"You can try and make little adjustments and try to stay positive and believe in what you're doing," Goldschmidt told Doug & Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If you do that, hopefully over the long run things will turn around and you'll start playing better."
It's hard to imagine a better version of Goldschmidt. He earned a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards last season, and is currently tied for the National League lead in hits (81) and second in RBI (48). Goldschmidt, who is hitting .308 with 13 home runs this season, admitted that it can be discouraging when the team isn't doing well, which leaves him wanting to do more.
"Sometimes it's frustration where you try and press a little bit. Sometimes you realize that and try to relax," Goldschmidt said. "There is not an easy answer of how to fix it."
He may not have an answer about how to fix the D-backs' roller coaster season so far, but his own mental approach to the game has helped his consistency over the past two seasons.
"I think the best way is just to stay even keel and when things are going good, to not get too excited and think you have it figured out," Goldschmidt said. "When things are going bad, you have to know they're going to turn around and not get too down on yourself."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.