Paul Goldschmidt trying to keep positive outlook on season
"You can try and make little adjustments and try to stay positive and believe in what you're doing," Goldschmidt told Doug & Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If you do that, hopefully over the long run things will turn around and you'll start playing better."
It's hard to imagine a better version of Goldschmidt. He earned a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards last season, and is currently tied for the National League lead in hits (81) and second in RBI (48). Goldschmidt, who is hitting .308 with 13 home runs this season, admitted that it can be discouraging when the team isn't doing well, which leaves him wanting to do more.
"Sometimes it's frustration where you try and press a little bit. Sometimes you realize that and try to relax," Goldschmidt said. "There is not an easy answer of how to fix it."
He may not have an answer about how to fix the D-backs' roller coaster season so far, but his own mental approach to the game has helped his consistency over the past two seasons.
"I think the best way is just to stay even keel and when things are going good, to not get too excited and think you have it figured out," Goldschmidt said. "When things are going bad, you have to know they're going to turn around and not get too down on yourself."
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.