Paul Goldschmidt trying to keep positive outlook on season
"You can try and make little adjustments and try to stay positive and believe in what you're doing," Goldschmidt told Doug & Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If you do that, hopefully over the long run things will turn around and you'll start playing better."
It's hard to imagine a better version of Goldschmidt. He earned a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards last season, and is currently tied for the National League lead in hits (81) and second in RBI (48). Goldschmidt, who is hitting .308 with 13 home runs this season, admitted that it can be discouraging when the team isn't doing well, which leaves him wanting to do more.
"Sometimes it's frustration where you try and press a little bit. Sometimes you realize that and try to relax," Goldschmidt said. "There is not an easy answer of how to fix it."
He may not have an answer about how to fix the D-backs' roller coaster season so far, but his own mental approach to the game has helped his consistency over the past two seasons.
"I think the best way is just to stay even keel and when things are going good, to not get too excited and think you have it figured out," Goldschmidt said. "When things are going bad, you have to know they're going to turn around and not get too down on yourself."
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.