Updated Jun 13, 2014 - 11:47 pm
Diamondbacks roookie Chase Anderson takes first career loss
That came to an end Friday, when he suffered a loss to his childhood rival, Clayton Kershaw, and the Los Angeles Dodgers in a rematch between the two pitchers.
Since 1998, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitcher Jered Weaver and former Dodgers pitcher Kazuhisa Ishii are the only pitchers to have begun their careers 5-0.
Anderson struggled with control Friday, walking four while allowing four hits, but managed to evade a lot of other would-be damage by limiting the Dodgers to just a two-run home run in five frames of work.
But his opponent, a two-time Cy Young winner, outdid him, allowing just one run over 7.0 innings pitched.
Anderson is now 5-1 with a 3.21 ERA on the season.
When he last faced Kershaw and the Dodgers, his team supported him with 18 runs of support. Though accruing 13 hits and a pair of walks Friday, they struggled to plate baserunners in the 4-3 loss.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.