Updated Jun 15, 2014 - 1:49 pm
Thirteen years later, Womack's grand slam on Father's Day still special
Arguably the most profound of those moments didn't come during a do-or-die postseason game or autumn night at Yankee Stadium, but rather in the team's Father's Day contest against a struggling Detroit Tigers squad.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth and the D-backs already leading 2-1, light-hitting shortstop Tony Womack came to the plate to face right-hander Dave Mlicki.
Womack, who had lost his father just three weeks prior to the interleague affair, wasted little time honoring his memory. On Mlicki's second offering, the veteran infielder swatted the ball over the right field fence for his first home run of the season.
What made the grand slam so special that afternoon wasn't the four runs it provided Arizona in it's 8-3 win over Detroit, but Womack's reaction upon reaching home plate.
Thirteen years later that special Father's Day long ball has certainly endured.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.