Updated Jun 15, 2014 - 1:49 pm
Thirteen years later, Womack's grand slam on Father's Day still special
Arguably the most profound of those moments didn't come during a do-or-die postseason game or autumn night at Yankee Stadium, but rather in the team's Father's Day contest against a struggling Detroit Tigers squad.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth and the D-backs already leading 2-1, light-hitting shortstop Tony Womack came to the plate to face right-hander Dave Mlicki.
Womack, who had lost his father just three weeks prior to the interleague affair, wasted little time honoring his memory. On Mlicki's second offering, the veteran infielder swatted the ball over the right field fence for his first home run of the season.
What made the grand slam so special that afternoon wasn't the four runs it provided Arizona in it's 8-3 win over Detroit, but Womack's reaction upon reaching home plate.
Thirteen years later that special Father's Day long ball has certainly endured.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.