Updated Jun 15, 2014 - 1:49 pm
Thirteen years later, Womack's grand slam on Father's Day still special
Arguably the most profound of those moments didn't come during a do-or-die postseason game or autumn night at Yankee Stadium, but rather in the team's Father's Day contest against a struggling Detroit Tigers squad.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth and the D-backs already leading 2-1, light-hitting shortstop Tony Womack came to the plate to face right-hander Dave Mlicki.
Womack, who had lost his father just three weeks prior to the interleague affair, wasted little time honoring his memory. On Mlicki's second offering, the veteran infielder swatted the ball over the right field fence for his first home run of the season.
What made the grand slam so special that afternoon wasn't the four runs it provided Arizona in it's 8-3 win over Detroit, but Womack's reaction upon reaching home plate.
Thirteen years later that special Father's Day long ball has certainly endured.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.