Luis Gonzalez: Diamondbacks need Mark Trumbo back 'desperately'
"He (Trumbo) was brought in here to protect Goldschmidt and to be the stabilization behind him and to provide that security for him," Gonzalez told Bickley and Marotta Monday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Before he went down with a broken foot on Apr. 21, Trumbo was hitting .210 with seven home runs and 19 RBI. Without his bat in the lineup, Gonzalez said it has become more difficult for Goldschmidt to find success.
"Goldy is just a superstar player in the game, he works hard," Gonzalez said. "When you're a guy like Goldschmidt, you're that one guy they pick out on the team that can beat you."
Gonzalez mentioned the trio of Albert Pujols, Mike Trout and Josh Hamilton, who play for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, as a good example of how hitters protecting each other in a lineup can work to a team's advantage. He added that if Trumbo can return sooner rather than later, then the D-backs could string some wins together and find themselves back in the playoff hunt.
"Trumbo is a guy we desperately need back to get back in the middle of the order, to stabilize this time and to stretch our lineup out a little bit longer," Gonzalez said. "When you hit in the middle of an order you always want to have that other guy the batman and robin type of thing you want to have that protector guy with you."
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?