Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 2:19 pm
Diamondbacks designate J.J. Putz for assignment
Putz, 37, was in the midst of a rocky fourth season with the Diamondbacks, going 1-1 with a 6.59 earned run average in 18 appearances. In three previous seasons, the right-hander pitched to a 2.45 ERA in 146.2 innings pitched while compiling 83 saves -- ranking him second on the franchise's all-time list. His 2.81 ERA with the Diamondbacks is also second on the all-time list.
In 12 seasons in the majors, he had 572 relief appearances, going 37-33 with 189 saves and a 3.08 ERA. Before joining the Diamondbacks, he spent time with the Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Chicago White Sox.
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks reinstated outfielder Ender Inciarte, who was on the seven-day disabled list recovering from a concussion.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.