Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 8:46 pm
D-backs agree to terms with first-round draft pick Touki Toussaint
Toussaint, went 8-2 with a 1.22 ERA in 63.1 innings of work as a high school senior, stats good enough for the D-backs to pluck him with the 16th overall selection of the draft. He was rated as the third-best high school pitcher by Baseball America and MLB.com had him listed as the eighth-best prospect in the draft.
The 17-year-old had signed a national letter of intent to play college baseball at Vanderbilt University.
"We knew we had our work cut out for us because Vandy was in the picture," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "They're one of the top college programs ... we'll get a chance to get him out there real soon."
Towers said Toussaint will likely start in the Arizona league after throwing a side session this week.
With Toussaint's signing, the Diamondbacks have now inked 27 of their 42 selections in this year's First-Year Player Draft.
"There's not a lot you have to teach him other than getting him pro reps and facing a better caliber of player," Towers said.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.