Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 8:46 pm
D-backs agree to terms with first-round draft pick Touki Toussaint
Toussaint, went 8-2 with a 1.22 ERA in 63.1 innings of work as a high school senior, stats good enough for the D-backs to pluck him with the 16th overall selection of the draft. He was rated as the third-best high school pitcher by Baseball America and MLB.com had him listed as the eighth-best prospect in the draft.
The 17-year-old had signed a national letter of intent to play college baseball at Vanderbilt University.
"We knew we had our work cut out for us because Vandy was in the picture," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "They're one of the top college programs ... we'll get a chance to get him out there real soon."
Towers said Toussaint will likely start in the Arizona league after throwing a side session this week.
With Toussaint's signing, the Diamondbacks have now inked 27 of their 42 selections in this year's First-Year Player Draft.
"There's not a lot you have to teach him other than getting him pro reps and facing a better caliber of player," Towers said.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.