Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 8:46 pm
D-backs agree to terms with first-round draft pick Touki Toussaint
Toussaint, went 8-2 with a 1.22 ERA in 63.1 innings of work as a high school senior, stats good enough for the D-backs to pluck him with the 16th overall selection of the draft. He was rated as the third-best high school pitcher by Baseball America and MLB.com had him listed as the eighth-best prospect in the draft.
The 17-year-old had signed a national letter of intent to play college baseball at Vanderbilt University.
"We knew we had our work cut out for us because Vandy was in the picture," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "They're one of the top college programs ... we'll get a chance to get him out there real soon."
Towers said Toussaint will likely start in the Arizona league after throwing a side session this week.
With Toussaint's signing, the Diamondbacks have now inked 27 of their 42 selections in this year's First-Year Player Draft.
"There's not a lot you have to teach him other than getting him pro reps and facing a better caliber of player," Towers said.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.