Injured Trumbo, Hudson to play in simulated game
Manager Kirk Gibson said outfielder Mark Trumbo and pitcher Daniel Hudson are expected to play in a simulated game on Tuesday.
In his first season from the Diamondbacks, Trumbo is batting only .210 but belted seven home runs, three doubles and 19 RBI in 81 at-bats before going on the 15-day disabled list due to a stress fracture in his foot. The 28-year-old left fielder hasn't played since April 21 against the Chicago White Sox.
Gibson said the former Los Angeles Angels slugger hasn't done too much in his rehab other than working out and "strengthening stuff."
"He's picked up the pace every day," Gibson said. "(There's) a lot of inflammation in (his foot). So he's trying to get that out first."
The manager said Trumbo has also been shagging balls in the outfield as well as hitting.
As far as Hudson, the 27-year-old right-hander hasn't pitched in the Majors since June 26, 2012. He has undergone two Tommy John surgeries since that time, including one after making a rehab start last June.
The 6-foot-4 pitcher won 16 games over 222 innings for the D-backs in a breakout 2011 season, also earning the NL Silver Slugger Award -- given to the best batter at his position.
In early March, the 27-year-old hurler tweeted that he was back to throwing from flat ground.
Gibson said that Trumbo will likely face Gibson for 15 to 20 pitches in their simulation. He added that he doesn't expect either back until after the All-Star break.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.