Updated Jun 22, 2014 - 1:39 pm
D-backs closer Addison Reed quits smokeless tobacco, cites Tony Gwynn's death
Gwynn believed that years of using smokeless tobacco caused the cancer, and D-backs closer Addison Reed vowed to stop the habit as a result of his death, according to Steve Gilbert of Dbacks.com
Reed, who played for Gwynn at San Diego State, had used smokeless tobacco since he was a junior in high school.
Reed threw away seven cans from his locker before earlier this week, then threw away two more in his car as part of his effort to quit the habit.
"It's one of those things where I've done it for so long it's just become a habit, a really bad habit," Reed said of using smokeless tobacco. "It was something I always told myself I would quit, like next month, and the next thing you know it's been six or seven years.
"It started to get bad my first year in pro ball and it's one of those things where I've always done it," he said. "I'd come to the field and throw one in and have multiple ones. I'd have one on the ride home, one on the way to the field and it was one of those things where I always had one with me."
Now that is no longer the case.
"These five days have been kind of rough, but I think it's something that's doable," Reed said. "I don't have any cans in my locker, so as long as I don't go and buy any, I should be all right."
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.