D-backs' Trevor Cahill shows some improvement in third minor league start
Sunday night, the 26-year-old took the mound for the Reno Aces against the Colorado Springs Sky Sox and showed a little improvement over his first two starts, although he did struggle with command.
Cahill went 4.1 innings, allowing just two hits and two earned runs. He walked three and struck out four. The first batter he faced, Colorado Springs third baseman Rafael Ynoa, lined a home run to right field to give the Sox a 1-0 lead.
But Cahill settled down and didn't allow another hit until Kyle Parker led off the fourth inning with a single to center. Parker would later be erased on an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play.
When he left with one out in the fifth inning, the game was tied 1-1. Colorado Springs would go on to win 9-5. In the game, Cahill threw 81 pitches, 45 of them for strikes.
In his three minor league starts, Cahill is 0-2 with an 8.68 ERA. He's pitched 9.1 innings, allowing seven hits, 10 runs (9 earned) while striking out 13 and walking four. He's allowed a home run in each appearance.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.