D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson: The mood of the team is still good
They've been besieged with injuries, most notably pitchers Patrick Corbin and David Hernandez missing the entire season after undergoing Tommy John surgeries. There are currently 11 players on the disabled list.
Home hasn't been kind to them; their 14-29 mark at Chase Field is by far the worst home record in baseball.
In other words, not much has gone right for this year's club. However, it hasn't affected the mood of the team, according to manager Kirk Gibson.
"It's good, they've been good," Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM when asked about the club's disposition. "I give them credit for that, I'm proud of them. The energy is good -- we've played pretty good, aggressive baseball."
There's no denying that the Diamondbacks have played better following a disastrous start to the season that saw them go 9-22 in March/April with a run differential of -62. Since May 1, they're 23-25 with a respectable run differential of -4.
"We've played hard, we've played it right to the last out, the last strike," Gibson said. "It is frustrating. The losses hurt. But we've kind of vowed that we wouldn't give in, we're not going to give in. We regroup every day.
"I still believe there's going to be a good run in this team and we'll get back to .500."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.