Updated Jun 29, 2014 - 5:15 pm
D-backs add infield depth, acquire Ronny Cedeno in trade with Phillies
The D-backs have acquired Ronny Cedeno in exchange for catcher Raywilly Gomez.
Cedeno, who was outrighted by Philadelphia Saturday, played in seven games with the Phillies in 2014, going hitless in nine at-bats.
A career .245 hitter, Cedeno has played parts of 10 big league seasons with the Chicago Cubs, Seattle Mariners, Pittsburgh Pirates, New York Mets, Houston Astros, San Diego Padres and Phillies.
Gomez has spent his entire minor-league career in Arizona's organization and was batting .273 with three home runs and 22 RBI in Double-A Mobile at the time of the trade.
According to MLB.com writer Steve Gilbert, Cedeno will be sent to Triple-A Reno.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.