Diamondbacks' McCarthy: A trade out of Arizona 'certainly seems likely'
The team signed him to a two-year, $15.5 million contract, and the right-hander has responded by giving the D-backs a 7-21 record with a 4.78 ERA in 39 starts.
And this season has been nothing short of disastrous, with McCarthy posting a 2-10 record with a 5.11 ERA.
But that doesn't mean he doesn't hold any value on the trade market. In fact, as FoxSportsArizona.com's Jack Magruder reports, McCarthy may even expect to be dealt.
"It certainly seems likely," McCarthy said of a possible trade, "but if I am still here at the end of September, then great. It is a place I enjoy.
"At this point, you become an asset the other way. Right now as a Diamondback, sometimes your best value is your future value and what they can get for you. I totally understand that side of the game. You accept it as reality, but it is not something I sit and worry about all the time, check every rumor. Just let it happen, and when I get a phone call and that happens, there you go."
What the D-backs could get for McCarthy is unknown, but the team may want to deal him to free up a rotation spot for one of its younger pitchers, meaning what it gets in return would not necessarily be the top priority in a trade.
McCarthy is coming off one of his best starts of the season, allowing just six hits and one earned run in seven innings in a win over the San Diego Padres. He struck out seven on the night.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.