Diamondbacks' McCarthy: A trade out of Arizona 'certainly seems likely'
The team signed him to a two-year, $15.5 million contract, and the right-hander has responded by giving the D-backs a 7-21 record with a 4.78 ERA in 39 starts.
And this season has been nothing short of disastrous, with McCarthy posting a 2-10 record with a 5.11 ERA.
But that doesn't mean he doesn't hold any value on the trade market. In fact, as FoxSportsArizona.com's Jack Magruder reports, McCarthy may even expect to be dealt.
"It certainly seems likely," McCarthy said of a possible trade, "but if I am still here at the end of September, then great. It is a place I enjoy.
"At this point, you become an asset the other way. Right now as a Diamondback, sometimes your best value is your future value and what they can get for you. I totally understand that side of the game. You accept it as reality, but it is not something I sit and worry about all the time, check every rumor. Just let it happen, and when I get a phone call and that happens, there you go."
What the D-backs could get for McCarthy is unknown, but the team may want to deal him to free up a rotation spot for one of its younger pitchers, meaning what it gets in return would not necessarily be the top priority in a trade.
McCarthy is coming off one of his best starts of the season, allowing just six hits and one earned run in seven innings in a win over the San Diego Padres. He struck out seven on the night.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.