D-backs' Towers: Wade Miley may be turning season around
Miley pitched his best game of the season Tuesday in Pittsburgh, but couldn't earn the win when closer Addison Reed blew the save.
Miley allowed two hits in eight shutout innings, as the D-backs entered the ninth inning leading 2-0.
Instead of finishing his shutout, Miley surrendered back-to-back hits to lead off the ninth. In came Reed, who gave up a game-tying double, which was nearly caught, and the walk-off single.
"He battled and gave it everything he had," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers said on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "You even look at the couple hits in the ninth inning, they weren't hit hard, they just happened to find spots."
Miley is 3-6 in 2014 and is carrying a career-worst 4.61 ERA following a two-season stretch when he was 26-21 with a 3.44 ERA. While Miley has had other solid outings this season, none were quite as dominant as Tuesday night's gem.
"I thought he had good tempo right from the beginning of the game," Towers said. "He attacked the zone. He was keeping the ball out of the middle part of the plate. He was changing speeds. I thought he had an extra gear with fastball when he needed it last night. He was hitting all different quadrants."
Miley fanned 10 hitters without allowing a walk for only the second time in his career. Towers thinks the lefty may be able to string together better starts with the improved strikeout to walk ratio.
"When the walks are down (and) the strikeouts are up, those are good indicators that a guy's starting to turn it around," Towers said.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?