Updated Jul 3, 2014 - 4:59 pm
ESPN's Kurkjian: Diamondbacks' Tony La Russa could be big part of trade deadline talks
"Tony La Russa is a very methodical man. He is very smart," Kurkjian told Burns & Gambo Thursday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If Tony La Russa has the power we think he does, he might have the ability to tell Kevin Towers, ‘Tell me what you're going to do here and I want to be a part of this, I have to be a part of this.'"
Ever since La Russa was brought into the organization, questions have festered about whether or not he and Towers can coexist. Towers reports to La Russa, but part of any general manager's duties usually include pulling the trigger on trades.
Kurkjian mentioned that La Russa may intervene if he sees Towers taking action on a trade he doesn't like.
"He (La Russa) might be able to say, 'I don't think we should do that, and then perhaps a trade is not made,'" Kurkjian said.
Kurkjian also advised La Russa to wait out the rest of the season before reaching any conclusions about the future of the club, including whether or not Towers or manager Kirk Gibson have a place in it. The reporter also ruled out any notion that Towers might try to sabotage the organization's future plans.
"I don't think he would do anything trade-wise that wouldn't make any sense at all," Kurkjian said. "Since the year is already lost to making the playoffs, then make a determination after the season; that to me would be the right thing to do."
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.