Updated Jul 3, 2014 - 4:59 pm
ESPN's Kurkjian: Diamondbacks' Tony La Russa could be big part of trade deadline talks
"Tony La Russa is a very methodical man. He is very smart," Kurkjian told Burns & Gambo Thursday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If Tony La Russa has the power we think he does, he might have the ability to tell Kevin Towers, ‘Tell me what you're going to do here and I want to be a part of this, I have to be a part of this.'"
Ever since La Russa was brought into the organization, questions have festered about whether or not he and Towers can coexist. Towers reports to La Russa, but part of any general manager's duties usually include pulling the trigger on trades.
Kurkjian mentioned that La Russa may intervene if he sees Towers taking action on a trade he doesn't like.
"He (La Russa) might be able to say, 'I don't think we should do that, and then perhaps a trade is not made,'" Kurkjian said.
Kurkjian also advised La Russa to wait out the rest of the season before reaching any conclusions about the future of the club, including whether or not Towers or manager Kirk Gibson have a place in it. The reporter also ruled out any notion that Towers might try to sabotage the organization's future plans.
"I don't think he would do anything trade-wise that wouldn't make any sense at all," Kurkjian said. "Since the year is already lost to making the playoffs, then make a determination after the season; that to me would be the right thing to do."
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.