Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:35 pm
Diamondbacks trade Joe Thatcher, Tony Campana to Angels for two prospects
The deal has relief pitcher Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana heading to L.A. in exchange for minor leaguers Zach Borenstein and Joey Krehbiel.
Thatcher arrived in Arizona via San Diego midway through the 2013 season. The 32-year-old left-handed reliever had 37 appearances with the Diamondbacks so far in 2014, boasting a 2.63 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 24.0 innings pitched.
Campana, a left-handed hitter, had 60 at-bats with the D-backs in 2014, hitting just .150 with one double, one triple and three RBI.
The trade has the Diamondbacks receiving a right-handed pitcher and a left-handed hitting outfielder from the minor leagues.
Krehbiel, a 6-foot-2 reliever, pitched in 17 games for a Class-A and a Class-A Advanced club in the Angels' farm system this season. The 21-year-old struck out 23 batters and had a 2.00 ERA with five saves in 18.0 innings pitched.
Borenstein, a 6-foot, 225-pound leftfielder, has appeared in 78 games between the Angels' Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2014. For the Salt Lake Bees of the Pacific Coast League, the 23-year-old Borenstein batted .256 with two home runs and 22 RBI in 117 at-bats.
In addition to the trade Saturday, the Diamondbacks recalled left-handed relief pitcher Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A Reno, who has appeared in 19 games so far for the D-backs in 2014.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.