Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:02 pm
Report: Blue Jays 'heavily scouting' D-backs' Aaron Hill, Martin Prado ahead of deadline
According to ESPN insider Jim Bowden, the Toronto Blue Jays have been scouting both Aaron Hill and Martin Prado with the hopes of potentially upgrading their infield -- which is minus Brett Lowrie (broken finger) -- before the stretch run in the American League East.
Hill, who began his career in Toronto before being acquired by Arizona in Aug. 2011, has had his fair share of struggles this season -- batting .245 with six home runs and 42 RBI.
The 32-year-old's contract with the D-backs runs through the end of the 2016 season. He's scheduled to make $12 million in 2015.
Prado, who was part of the blockbuster deal in Jan. 2013 that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, has a .268 batting average to go along with mediocre power numbers (three home runs and 34 RBI). He also has 13 errors and 13 GIDPs on the season.
The Venezuelan is currently on the second year of a four-year deal. Arizona still owes him $22 million after the 2014 campaign.
In addition to Hill and Prado, the Blue Jays have also been watching San Diego Padres third baseman Chase Headley.
Although as Bowden noted, Toronto hasn't been terribly impressed by what it's seen from any of the three players.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?