Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:02 pm
Report: Blue Jays 'heavily scouting' D-backs' Aaron Hill, Martin Prado ahead of deadline
According to ESPN insider Jim Bowden, the Toronto Blue Jays have been scouting both Aaron Hill and Martin Prado with the hopes of potentially upgrading their infield -- which is minus Brett Lowrie (broken finger) -- before the stretch run in the American League East.
Hill, who began his career in Toronto before being acquired by Arizona in Aug. 2011, has had his fair share of struggles this season -- batting .245 with six home runs and 42 RBI.
The 32-year-old's contract with the D-backs runs through the end of the 2016 season. He's scheduled to make $12 million in 2015.
Prado, who was part of the blockbuster deal in Jan. 2013 that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, has a .268 batting average to go along with mediocre power numbers (three home runs and 34 RBI). He also has 13 errors and 13 GIDPs on the season.
The Venezuelan is currently on the second year of a four-year deal. Arizona still owes him $22 million after the 2014 campaign.
In addition to Hill and Prado, the Blue Jays have also been watching San Diego Padres third baseman Chase Headley.
Although as Bowden noted, Toronto hasn't been terribly impressed by what it's seen from any of the three players.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.