Updated Jul 6, 2014 - 10:00 am
Diamondbacks trade pitcher Brandon McCarthy, cash to Yankees for Vidal Nuno
OFFICIAL: #Dbacks acquire LHP Vidal Nuno (vi-del noon-yo) from Yankees for RHP Brandon McCarthy and cash considerations— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) July 6, 2014
The 30-year-old McCarthy, a nine-year MLB veteran, won three and lost 10 with a 5.01 ERA in 18 starts for the Diamondbacks in 2014, his second season in Arizona. The right-hander has struck out 93 batters and walked only 20 in 109.2 innings this season.
Yankee pinstripes, awesome. Very slimming but awesome.— Brandon McCarthy (@BMcCarthy32) July 6, 2014
Nuno, a 26-year-old left-handed starter, has a 2-5 record with a 5.42 ERA in his first full season in the Majors. He has appeared in 17 games, starting 14, and has 60 strikeouts and 26 walks in 78.0 innings pitched.
McCarthy becomes the second pitcher to be traded by the Diamondbacks in as many days. On Saturday, the team dealt reliever Joe Thatcher, as well as outfielder Tony Campana, to the Los Angeles Angels for two minor leaguers.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.