D-backs' Tony La Russa: Kevin Towers 'did a great job' on McCarthy trade
The first was likely a question about whether they got enough in return.
The second probably centered around who engineered the trade from the D-backs' side, general manager Kevin Towers or chief baseball officer Tony La Russa.
La Russa, who has been on the job since mid-May, clarified the process Wednesday morning during an interview with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
"Kevin made me a part of the discussion from the beginning," he said. "And I think he's made two outstanding moves so far."
Last weekend, Towers also traded lefty reliever Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana to the Los Angeles Angels for two prospects -- right-handed pitcher Joey Krehbiel and outfielder Zach Borenstein.
"We were right on the same page, not only with the McCarthy trade but other discussions that are being held," La Russa said. "I really believe at this point McCarthy could've used a change of scenery. We were able to free up some money, which I'm confident will go into the pot and be used to improve our roster.
"At the same time, I thought Kevin did a really good job and came back with some value."
That value is Nuño, who pitched brilliantly in his D-backs debut Tuesday night. The California native pitched seven shutout innings, allowing just three hits while striking out seven and walking one, but settled for a no-decision after closer Addison Reed blew a save opportunity in the ninth inning.
"I thought it was a good trade," La Russa said.
McCarthy, meanwhile, will make his Yankees debut Wednesday against the Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.