Updated Jul 10, 2014 - 5:46 pm
ESPN's Tim Kurkjian: Give Vidal Nuno a chance
It was a trade involving two struggling players, but ESPN baseball insider Tim Kurkjian says it's too soon to chalk the deal up as a loss for the D-backs.
"I think it was worth a try for the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It's a season you want to forget so why not try somebody a little bit younger and see how it goes."
It certainly went well for the 26-year-old Nuno Tuesday night against the Miami Marlins when he only gave up three hits and had seven strikeouts in seven innings pitched. Kurkjian added that the D-backs needed youth, and given the way the team has performed this season, a roll of the dice was in order.
"You have to get younger, you have to get better if you're the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian said. "He's a young pitcher so we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to do this."
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.