Updated Jul 10, 2014 - 5:46 pm
ESPN's Tim Kurkjian: Give Vidal Nuno a chance
It was a trade involving two struggling players, but ESPN baseball insider Tim Kurkjian says it's too soon to chalk the deal up as a loss for the D-backs.
"I think it was worth a try for the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian told Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It's a season you want to forget so why not try somebody a little bit younger and see how it goes."
It certainly went well for the 26-year-old Nuno Tuesday night against the Miami Marlins when he only gave up three hits and had seven strikeouts in seven innings pitched. Kurkjian added that the D-backs needed youth, and given the way the team has performed this season, a roll of the dice was in order.
"You have to get younger, you have to get better if you're the Diamondbacks," Kurkjian said. "He's a young pitcher so we're going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to do this."
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.