The Pulse: D-backs should turn to Matt Stites at closer after ASG break
On Thursday, we asked who the Arizona Diamondbacks should turn to as their closer following next week's All-Star break.
One of the options, current closer Addison Reed, has had a rough time of it in Arizona since being acquired in an offseason trade with the Chicago White Sox.
In 25 save chances, Reed has blown five (tied for most in the National League), surrendering nine home runs in the process (worst among all MLB closers).
Not surprisingly, our readers would like to see Kirk Gibson turn to a bit of a youth movement in the ninth inning.
More specifically, 24-year-old reliever Matt Stites, who was acquired in the deal that sent Ian Kennedy to the San Diego Padres last July.
Stites, who has a 2.11 ERA in 11 career appearances, garnered 48 percent of the 469 votes tallied.
And as for Reed (17 percent), he didn't even come in second place.
That distinction belonged to veteran Brad Ziegler, who served as the team's de facto closer to end the 2013 campaign. Ziegler was favored by 35 percent of the voters as Arizona's top replacement option.
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.