The Pulse: D-backs should turn to Matt Stites at closer after ASG break
On Thursday, we asked who the Arizona Diamondbacks should turn to as their closer following next week's All-Star break.
One of the options, current closer Addison Reed, has had a rough time of it in Arizona since being acquired in an offseason trade with the Chicago White Sox.
In 25 save chances, Reed has blown five (tied for most in the National League), surrendering nine home runs in the process (worst among all MLB closers).
Not surprisingly, our readers would like to see Kirk Gibson turn to a bit of a youth movement in the ninth inning.
More specifically, 24-year-old reliever Matt Stites, who was acquired in the deal that sent Ian Kennedy to the San Diego Padres last July.
Stites, who has a 2.11 ERA in 11 career appearances, garnered 48 percent of the 469 votes tallied.
And as for Reed (17 percent), he didn't even come in second place.
That distinction belonged to veteran Brad Ziegler, who served as the team's de facto closer to end the 2013 campaign. Ziegler was favored by 35 percent of the voters as Arizona's top replacement option.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.