The Pulse: D-backs should turn to Matt Stites at closer after ASG break
On Thursday, we asked who the Arizona Diamondbacks should turn to as their closer following next week's All-Star break.
One of the options, current closer Addison Reed, has had a rough time of it in Arizona since being acquired in an offseason trade with the Chicago White Sox.
In 25 save chances, Reed has blown five (tied for most in the National League), surrendering nine home runs in the process (worst among all MLB closers).
Not surprisingly, our readers would like to see Kirk Gibson turn to a bit of a youth movement in the ninth inning.
More specifically, 24-year-old reliever Matt Stites, who was acquired in the deal that sent Ian Kennedy to the San Diego Padres last July.
Stites, who has a 2.11 ERA in 11 career appearances, garnered 48 percent of the 469 votes tallied.
And as for Reed (17 percent), he didn't even come in second place.
That distinction belonged to veteran Brad Ziegler, who served as the team's de facto closer to end the 2013 campaign. Ziegler was favored by 35 percent of the voters as Arizona's top replacement option.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?