Wade Miley off to a sizzling hot July for Diamondbacks
Wade Miley is leading an aggressive counter campaign against that reality.
Since July 1, the left-hander has held his opponents to just three earned runs over 21.2 innings pitched -- good for a 1.25 ERA in those three starts.
Facing the Pittsburgh Pirates, Atlanta Braves and, Saturday, the San Francisco Giants, Miley has struck out more hitters than he has allowed baserunners, recording 22 strikeouts so far this month, while allowing just 17 opposing hitters to reach base.
Since the month began, Miley has seen his season ERA drop by nearly half-a-run, from 4.61 to 4.18 by game's end Saturday. A winning result Saturday against the Giants improved his record to 5-6 on the year, giving him wins in two of his last three outings. On July 1, against the Pirates at PNC Park, he exited the game after the eighth inning with a 2-0 lead but saw his bullpen falter late, erasing his winning effort.
Miley's last three starts easily qualify as his most consistent of the season thus far, as he's only won consecutive starts once prior this year, in April.
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?