D-backs prospect Andrew Velazquez reaches base for minor league-record 72nd straight game
Arizona Diamondbacks prospect Andrew Velazquez, a shortstop for Single-A South Bend, reached base on a single in the second inning of the Silver Hawks' 10-7 win Sunday to extend his streak of reaching base to a minor league-record 72 straight games -- one more than the former Red Sox teammates, who set the record in 1997 and 2003 respectively.
During the streak, which began on April 22, Velazquez has collected 94 hits, 41 walks and four HBPs.
He's also hitting over .316 over the last 72 contests.
A seventh-round pick by the D-backs back in 2012, Velazquez has made the most of his time on base in 2014, stealing a career-high 40 bases -- second most in the Midwest League.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.