D-backs prospect Andrew Velazquez reaches base for minor league-record 72nd straight game
Arizona Diamondbacks prospect Andrew Velazquez, a shortstop for Single-A South Bend, reached base on a single in the second inning of the Silver Hawks' 10-7 win Sunday to extend his streak of reaching base to a minor league-record 72 straight games -- one more than the former Red Sox teammates, who set the record in 1997 and 2003 respectively.
During the streak, which began on April 22, Velazquez has collected 94 hits, 41 walks and four HBPs.
He's also hitting over .316 over the last 72 contests.
A seventh-round pick by the D-backs back in 2012, Velazquez has made the most of his time on base in 2014, stealing a career-high 40 bases -- second most in the Midwest League.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.