Arizona Diamondbacks recall Trevor Cahill, option Mike Bolsinger to Reno
Cahill, 26, began the season in the D-backs' rotation, but lasted just four starts after allowing 18 earned runs in 17.2 innings.
At that point he was sent to the bullpen where he pitched better with a 3.04 ERA in 23.2 innings, but was designated for assignment June 9 with the intention of bringing him back into the rotation at some point this season.
Cahill first went to High-A Visalia where he threw two innings and allowed four earned runs. From there he pitched for Triple-A Reno, where he compiled a 2-2 record with a 3.49 ERA in six starts. Cahill gave up 21 hits and 20 walks in 28.1 innings in Reno.
Cahill was originally acquired by the D-backs following the 2011 season in a deal that sent Jarrod Parker to the Oakland Athletics.
Cahill made the All-Star team with Oakland in 2010 and was 40-35 and a 3.91 ERA in his A's career.
Bolsinger, 26, made his major league debut this season, but is just 1-6 and has surrendered 66 hits and 32 earned runs in 52.1 innings.
The D-backs also announced their starting rotation following the All-Star break. Cahill is throwing first followed by Wade Miley, Josh Collmenter, Vidal Nuno and Chase Anderson.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.