Updated Jul 15, 2014 - 10:48 pm
D-backs' Miguel Montero, Paul Goldschmidt fail to help losing NL squad to win at All-Star Game
Like most of the rest of their National League squad, the two Sedona red-donning players failed to do much to overcome the excellence of Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, Felix Hernandez and the American Leaguers.
Goldschmidt, the NL's starting first baseman, went 0-for-3 with a strikeout against Hernandez, Yu Darvish and Max Scherzer. He came to the plate with two outs in all three at-bats and ended the inning each time.
In the first inning, Andrew McCutchen was standing on third base when Goldschmidt grounded out to third. And in the fifth, Troy Tulowitzki was on second when Scherzer struck Goldschmidt out.
In the field, Goldschmidt did, however, make a diving stop to rob Oakland Athletics' All-Star Josh Donaldson of a hit to lead off the fifth inning. The 2013 Gold Glove winner dove to his right and made a quick throw to St. Louis Cardinals' pitcher Pat Nishek to get the out.
Montero, meanwhile, entered the game in the eighth inning as a defensive replacement of Cincinnati Reds catcher Devon Mesoraco. He caught for Pittsburgh Pirates' relief pitcher Tony Watson and then Reds' closer Aroldis Chapman.
The next inning, Montero led off the ninth inning for the NL with a flyout to deep left-centerfield.
The AL squad ultimately won 5-3, with Trout and Cabrera each collecting a pair of RBI, while New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was one of four players in the game to record multiple hits.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.