Updated Dec 9, 2011 - 12:48 pm
Off The Ice: Vrbata deserves to play with stars in Ottawa
Originally published: Dec 9, 2011 - 12:42 pm
Pack your bags, Radim Vrbata. I want you out of Phoenix come January.
You deserve to go to Ottawa. You've been outstanding this season for the Phoenix Coyotes. You deserve better than the recognition you get here. You belong among the NHL elite and should play on a line with them.
You should be named an All-Star and have your chance to shine at the All-Star game in Ottawa this season.
You won't get enough votes from fans, that much is clear from last season, but you can hope to be recognized by NHL hockey operations, much like your cohort, Keith Yandle, was last year. Your play has earned you a spot in Ottawa.
"[Vrbata]'s showing his tremendous value to us," said Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney on Friday.
He couldn't be more right.
Vrbata has been a huge factor for the Coyotes this year. Everything about him has screamed "talent" since the team opened their season, as fans in the desert have seen. He leads the team with 14 goals, co-leads with 25 points and is a team-leading plus-12 on the season. While he's obviously not scoring among the likes of Toronto's Phil Kessel or Philadelphia's Claude Giroux, Vrbata is keeping a workhorse team in contention in an ever-close Western Conference race.
If the Western Conference wants to be represented by an accurate shooter, Vrbata will be hard to beat. He's taken 80 shots this season, but buried 17.5 percent of those. That in itself is impressive, until you consider a shootout move that every goalie knows will be coming, but few can stop it. There are a rare few players in the NHL that can go against top guys and score because they are simply that talented. Vrbata is one of those players.
I won't go into how great of a guy Vrbata is, because that has nothing do with why he deserves a spot on the All-Star roster. His numbers speak for themselves. The fact that he is in the top 10 for goal scorers on a defense-first team is impressive enough, but his overall play should attract many who have an eye for how hockey should be played.
So pack your bags, Vrby. Get out of the sun and into the snow. Enjoy Ottawa and being me back a souvenir. It's up to the NHL to decide, but you deserve to represent your team in this year's All-Star game.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.