Razzies pick Will and Jaden Smith as worst actors
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Will and Jaden Smith have something they can bond over. They were both awarded Razzies for their performances in "After Earth."
Jaden was selected as worst actor for his starring role in the sci-fi flop about a father and son stranded on an untamed earth, while the elder Smith was chosen as worst supporting actor at Saturday's Golden Raspberry Awards, which lampoons Hollywood's awards season on the eve of the Oscars. The duo was also selected as the worst screen combo by online Razzies voters.
Razzies organizer John Wilson noted the pair was "stranded on Planet Nepotism."
"After Earth," which was directed by M. Night Shyamalan, tied with "Movie 43" for the most prizes with three awards. The raunchy comedy anthology featuring the likes of Halle Berry, Richard Gere, Kate Winslet and Naomi Watts earned Razzies for worst picture, screenplay and director. Apparently, it took a village to craft something so loathed. The Razzies noted that "Movie 43" is credited with 13 directors and 19 screenwriters.
Tyler Perry also didn't receive any good tidings from the Razzies . Perry- as feisty alter-ego Madea- was picked as worst actress for "A Madea Christmas," while Kim Kardashian was designated worst supporting actress for her role in the drama "Tyler Perry's Temptation."
Despite being the year's biggest box-office bomb, "The Lone Ranger" lassoed just one prize: worst remake, rip-off or sequel.
Uncharacteristically, Adam Sandler went home empty handed at this year's Razzies. Sandler's "Grown-Ups 2" originally led the hate-fest with eight nominations, including worst picture and actor for Sandler, but the comedy sequel wasn't awarded a single trophy. Sandler previously made Razzie history in 2011 by winning both the worst actor and actress prizes for his brother-sister cross-dressing comedy "Jack & Jill."
The winners of the 34th annual Razzies were announced Saturday night at a conference center a few blocks away from the Dolby Theater, where the 86th annual Academy Awards will be presented Sunday evening.
Follow AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/derrikjlang
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.