Daniel Radcliffe to star as Olympic runner Seb Coe
LONDON (AP) - "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe has signed on to play British Olympic runner Sebastian Coe in a movie about rivalries on the running track.
"Gold" will tell the story of the tense rivalry between Coe and fellow middle distance runner Steve Ovett in the run-up to the 1980 Moscow Olympics, where Ovett won the 800 meters and Coe took the 1500 meters. Coe, also a gold medalist in 1984, went on to become a politician and headed the London organizing committee at last year's summer Olympics.
The movie reunites the 24-year-old Radcliffe with James Watkins, the director of the 2012 film "The Woman in Black."
Filming is expected to begin in in April 2014.
Radcliffe's publicist confirmed Radcliffe's casting on Wednesday. The casting for Ovett has not yet been announced.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.