Coyotes coach hopes to solve power play woes
"I think everything in the playoffs is a clean slate all over the place," he said. "I say that as a coach where our penalty killing has been pretty strong, I wouldn't want a clean slate with that but I want a clean slate with our power play."
The Coyotes' power play during the regular season left much to be desired. They converted at a rate of 13.6%, which puts them in 29th place out of 30 NHL teams in that category. On the other hand, the Coyotes' penalty kill was something to talk about. They had the 8th-best penalty kill unit in the league at 85.5%.
Tippett says they've tried just about everything this season to get better results from their power play, but in the end it comes down to one thing: energy.
"We've tried a lot of different set ups this year. The work ethic and the ability to get the puck to the net, to me that generates energy," he said. "Like I say, we might not score every power play but we gotta create some energy, we gotta create some havoc around their net."
Tippett and the Coyotes hope to snap the streak of being dismissed from the post season in the first round by using the power play to their advantage.
"We've got some people who can score, but the majority of our goals on the power play have come from hard plays around the net and I think that will have to continue," he said.
The ‘Yotes have not made it to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs since moving to the Valley. They've come up short back-to-back years against Detroit in the first round. This year they face a Blackhawks team they beat three out of four times during the regular season.
Game one is Thursday night at Jobing.com Arena, followed by game two on Saturday.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i